The Arc Atlantique Corridor delivers improvements to the Trans- European Road Network stretching from Ireland to Spain through the wider deployment of ITS systems and services. The deployments will consist of a series of proven ITS technologies and services which have known and proven impacts on the efficiency of the road network. It will include traffic management systems and services, and traffic information services that support traffic managers in directing traffic operations. The services implemented along the corridor will support all traffic users including HGV’s as well as addressing cross-border issues and traffic bottlenecks.
The deployments will be in accordance with the EasyWay ITS Deployment Guidelines and achieved through mutual cooperation of neighbouring National Road Authorities and operators to establish a coordinated traffic management corridor.
The Arc Atlantique II Action involves 6 Member States: Ireland, United Kingdom, France, Belgium (Flanders and Wallonia), Netherlands and Spain.
The network incorporates both the North Sea Mediterranean (full) and Atlantic (partial) Core CEF corridor networks with 80.5% of investment on the CEF core network itself, as well as 19.5% of investment on critical elements of the comprehensive network directly supporting the CEF Core routes.
The main objectives of the Project are to:
- Improving interoperability that will impact the continuity of travel on the corridor network, at the urban / inter urban interface and at nodes ;
- Further developing harmonised services across Europe from the end user perspective ;
- Increasing the operational and cost efficiency of network from both the road user and traffic manager perspectives.
Problems to be addressed by this Action are :
- Areas of congestion along the corridor that result in inefficiency - bottlenecks
- Gaps in ITS services that can be closed, or quality of ITS Services that can be improved
- Safety along the corridor
They will be addressed through implementation or improvement to the following services:
- Provision and / or improvement to Real Time Traffic and Travel Information (Priority b)
- Road Safety related traffic Information (Priority c)
- Implementation of Traffic Management Systems and / or Plans.